If I could tell you 1 SECRET to building a successful marriage, would you do it?
In the book of 2 Kings there is a story about a commander of an army named Naaman who had leprosy. His wife’s servant girl, who was a captive from Israel, suggested that Naaman could be healed if only he would visit the prophet Elisha.
Naaman went to see Elisha expecting an elaborate healing ritual, but when the healing instructions came, Naaman was disappointed with the simplicity of the remedy and he left angry. Fortunately Naaman’s servants came to him and said, “My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more, then, when he tells you, ‘Wash and be cleansed’!” Fortunately Naaman decide to follow the simple instructions and was healed.
I tell you this story, because “The Secret” that I am going to share with you is simple. It’s not difficult nor elaborate, so I don’t want you to walk away, like Naaman, “disappointed with the simplicity”.
Here it is….the BIG SECRET.…unveiled.
One secret to building a successful marriage is to have a WEEKLY DATE, with your spouse.
I know, I know… you don’t have time, you don’t have the money. We had the same excuses the first 50 times someone recommended a weekly date to us. BUT finally we got to a desperate place and decided that we had nothing to loose. We took the plunge and began “dating again” and that was the catalyst which literally SAVED OUR MARRIAGE.
1) SET ASIDE TIME each week to “go” on a date. (It doesn’t have to be the same time Each week, but that makes planning easier.) It can be Morning. Noon. Night. Over the years ours has changed several times to accommodate our ever changing schedules and responsibilities.
2) NO TALKING about ministry, work or your kids. This is NOT a meeting! It’s a DATE! This is a time to RECONNECT with each other….enjoy each other and remember that you like each other.
3) Be CREATIVE! – Your date does NOT have to Break The Bank, In fact, It doesn’t have to cost anything. IDEAS- a walk in the park, go feed the ducks, go on a hike or picnic, go swimming, get a coffee, have breakfast. (Both breakfast and lunch are CHEAPER than dinner.) Go to a movie, play or dinner theater. The sky is the limit!
4) HAVE FUN!!! The idea behind a weekly date is to connect, communicate, have fun and remember why you got married in the first place. It is NOT a time to D-I-S-C-U-S-S ISSUES, PROBLEMS or ATTACK one another. Just remember…NO FIGHTS!!!!
5) Think of this as an INVESTMENT in your MARRIAGE! Both the time and the money will be well spent. It’s cheaper and MORE FUN than therapy or counseling & a whole lot better than eventually getting a DIVORCE b/c you have grown apart.
6) GUARD this time WITH YOUR LIFE! This is your time to build your marriage. Do NOT cancel this time in order to accommodate others’ schedules, work or church events or all the 1,000,000 things that could come up that could take its place. This is time to BUILD YOUR MARRIAGE & should NOT BE cast aside at the drop of a hat.
Sure others will NOT UNDERSTAND. LET ME REPEAT….OTHERS WILL NOT UNDERSTAND!!! They will try to get you to make an exception “just this once”, they will say. They will get hurt and offended because you won’t give in & when this happens REMEMBER what you learned about setting BOUNDARIES and about your 1st Ministry.
So that’s it…the MAGIC TIP….THE SECRET…to having a strong marriage. Don’t grow apart! Stay Connected! & Happy Dating!!!!